Part 1

General Practice

Clinical Supervisors Course

This 3 day module introduces you to the generic knowledge and skills needed in order to work as a Clinical Supervisor. The module introduces key concepts relating to ensuring safety for both learners and patients.

You will begin to appreciate how to recognise the level at which learners are working, how to begin educational planning through discussion and how to organise educational activities to meet the learning needs of the individual. Through practical workshops you will be able to rehearse in a safe environment the skills needed to give constructive criticism based on observation.

You will be introduced to the key principles of assessment and practice utilising the Foundation Programme national assessment tools. The Course material introduces you to core principles of adult educational theory and how to apply these in a practical setting. This theory will be further developed in later modules in the educator pathway.

You will be fully conversant with it should you wish to proceed further with the academic modules which lead to the PG certificate qualification

The next steps

Once you have undertaken Module 1, and if your practice is a training practice, you can be approved as a FY2 Clinical Supervisor.

If your practice is not a training practice, nor already accredited to host FY2 doctors, the practice will need to be visited. The purpose of the visit is to ensure that the practice meets good standards of clinical care, is sufficiently well organised and the team are all supportive of the plans to become involved in GP education in other words it is a suitable learning environment.

To see details of the practice visit criteria visit the download section ahead of your planned visit to ensure your practice meets the standard, particularly in relation to QOF points.

Once approved in order to host a FY2 doctor you will need to notify your local Programme Director (formerly Course Organiser) to advise them you can now be considered to host a FY2 doctor. Details of how to contact your local Programme Director (PD) can be found in the recruitment section of the KSS GP deanery website – you should find an email contact for the PDs attached to your local Trust. Please note it is not always possible to have an FY2 doctor as soon as you are accredited.

As you start to work as a FY2 CS it is expected that you will continue to develop as a GP educator. You will need to develop a portfolio in the same way you collect evidence of your work for NHS appraisal – you would use this evidence to support the education section of the appraisal documentation.

Guidance on the competencies of a GP educator and how you can show evidence of your development is contained in the GP educator portfolio

Support for FY2 Clinical Supervisors

The Foundation Programme is administered by your local Trust in association with Foundation Schools (linked to the regional medical schools) and each Trust has a Foundation Director who has overall responsibility for the programme. Medical Education Centre Managers in your local Postgraduate Medical Centre often assist in the practical organisation of the scheme.

Programme Directors who support GP Specialty training also arrange the GP placements for FY2 doctors and are a source of help and advice.

The FY2 Community Educational Supervisor locally will also run a series of support groups or learning sets where FY2 supervisors come together to discuss their experiences.

FY2 Clinical Supervisors also receive some financial support in the form of 80% of the current GP Trainer grant. The remaining 20% is used to fund the FY2CES who also undertakes teaching sessions with FY2 doctors.

In order to claim the training grant you will be required to complete a Service Level Agreement (SLA) for FY2 CS. This is needed in order to authorise payment to you. The SLA can be found in the downloads area below, but will be sent to you at the beginning of your rotation.

Hosting an FY2 doctor

The FY2 doctor is an employee of the local trust when they are working with you however it is advised you ask the doctor to complete an honorary contract with the doctor. The contract is available in the download section and in the Manual for FY2 Clinical Supervisors. The Manual also contains important information relating to issues such as indemnity, the performers list and the working week for a FY2 doctor.

If you are interested in becoming an FY2 CS, please contact the GP Educator Pathway Manager, or Tel: (020) 7125 7198